- Shelf Life for Stain Kits is one year from date manufactured.
- Store Stain Kits at 15-30°C unless otherwise stated.
- Most Stain Kits include 2 Complimentary Positive Control Slides to be used for the initial verification of staining techniques and reagents.
- Stain solution groups are sold as individual products under separate part numbers with storage requirements and expiration date designated per bottle.
|Stain Kit||Acid Epithelial Mucin (Sialomucin, Sulfomucin)||Neutral Epithelial Mucins||Stromal (Mesenchymal) Mucin (Hyaluronic Acid)||Glycogen||Other|
|Periodic Acid Schiff (PAS) Kit #9162||Magenta||Magenta||Negative||Magenta||Stains Basement membrane & fungal elements|
|Colloidal Iron, Müller-Mowry Kit #9110||Blue||Negative||Blue||Negative||Stains Cryptococcus|
|Mucin, Mayer Mucicarmine Kit #9151||Rose||Negative||Negative||Negative||Stains Cryptococcus|
|Alcian Blue, 1%, pH 2.5 Kit #9102||Blue||Negative||Blue||Negative|
|Alcian Blue/PAS Kit #91022||Violet||Magenta||Blue||Magenta|
Table simplifed for clarity.
- Carson, Freida L., and Christa Hladik. Histotechnology: A Self-Instructional Text. 3rd ed. Chicago, Ill.: American Society of Clinical Pathologists, 2009.
- Rekhtman, Natasha, and Justin Bishop. Quick Reference Handbook for Surgical Pathologists. Berlin: Springer, 2011.69.
- H = Hazardous
Differentiates between acidic epithelial mucins (sialomucin, sulfomucin) and neutral epithelial mucin and is a means of detecting the overall presence of mucins. Acidic mucins are stained with the Alcian Blue technique while neutral mucins and glycogen are stained by the PAS reaction.
Stains glycoproteins and aids in the differential diagnosis of tumors through the detection of acid/neutral epithelial mucins and/or glycogen. Digestion steps can be employed for further identification of mucosubstances. Also useful for staining basement membranes and fungal cell walls.
- Microwave Modification Included