Saccomanno Collection Fluid
(use: For collection and pre-fixation of cytology specimens.)
|Saccomanno Collection Fluid||Part 1361B|
|60 ml vial, 30 ml fill (50/cs)|
|Saccomanno Collection Fluid Vial||Part 1361D|
For storage requirements and expiration date refer to individual bottle labels.
Newcomer Supply Saccomanno Collection Fluid is a ready-to-use cytology pre-fixative and sample preservative, and the fluid of choice for collection of sputum specimens. Saccomanno Collection Fluid also provides a wide variety of applications for the collection and transport of cytology specimens, such as:
- Fine need aspirates (FNA)
- Urine samples
- Urinary tract washings
- Bronchial washings and brushings
- Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL)
- Gastrointestinal specimens
Saccomanno Collection Fluid works to partially fix and stabilize cytology specimens, protecting cells from decomposition and autolysis when specimen transport is required or when cytopreparation is delayed. Mucoproteins will remain suspended in the collection fluid and cells can easily be reclaimed following centrifugation.
Fixation: Add an equal volume of Saccomanno Collection Fluid to the cytology specimen
- For brushes; add enough collection fluid to fully cover
Solutions: All solutions are manufactured by Newcomer Supply, Inc.
After cytology specimen is collected and/or received in the laboratory, add an equal volume of Saccomanno Collection Fluid to the specimen that will be transported or held for an extended amount of time prior to cytopreparation.
- See Procedure Note #1.
- Store and/or transport specimen according to suggested temperature specifications for specimen type.
Proceed with laboratory protocol for cytology sample fixation and processing method for specific specimen type.
- See Procedure Note #2.
- Refer to laboratory guidelines for the length of time a specific cytology specimen type can be held fresh prior to processing and/or addition of Saccomanno Collection Fluid.
- Saccomanno Collection Fluid is considered a cytology pre-fixative and is not a substitute for final specimen fixation in the appropriate strength alcohol.
- Dispose of Saccomanno Collection Fluid as alcohol waste and/or according to local and state environmental regulations.
- Carson, Freida L., and Christa Hladik. Histotechnology: A Self-Instructional Text. 3rd ed. Chicago, Ill.: American Society of Clinical Pathologists, 2009. 354-356.
- Kini, Sudha R. Color Atlas of Pulmonary Cytopathology. New York: Springer, 2002. 7-21.
- Koss, Leopold G., and Myron Melamed, eds. Koss' Diagnostic Cytology and Its Histopathologic Bases. Fifth ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006. 1570-1594.
- Modifications developed by Newcomer Supply Laboratory.