An extremely safe, odorless alternative to xylene. Gentle on tissue and does not make it brittle. Excellent for derms and biopsy tissue. No tissue shrinkage or morphology changes. Enhances nuclear detail. Non-flammable with a flash point of 142°F. Use with S-Mount Mounting Medium for optimal results. No hazardous shipping fees!
|4 X 1 Gallon|
|Slide Brite™||Part ABSB-04|
|Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured, 70%||Part 10844|
|Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured, 95%||Part 10842|
|Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured, 100%||Part 10841|
|S Mounting Medium||Part 6751|
For storage requirements and expiration date refer to individual bottle labels.
Newcomer Supply Slide Brite™ Xylene Substitute is classified as an aliphatic hydrocarbon that provides a safe alternative to xylene, reduces risks and improves personnel safety in the laboratory. Benefits of Slide Brite™ Xylene Substitute include:
- Odorless, non-hazardous, non-irritating and fast drying.
- Gentle on tissue and enhanced nuclear detail.
- No tissue brittleness, shrinkage or adverse morphologic changes.
- Compatible with IHC staining.
- Does not require hazardous/flammable storage.
- Flash point of 61°C/142°F (29°C/84°F flash point of xylene)
- No vapor monitoring.
- Compatible on tissue processors and staining systems.
Fixation: Formalin 10%, Phosphate Buffered (Part 1090)
Technique: Paraffin, frozen sections, smears
- Refer to Slide Brite™ Tissue Processing Schedule.
- Use three Slide Brite™ clearing stations, 60 minutes each.
- For two clearing stations, allow 90 minutes per station.
- Rotate, filter and/or replace Slide Brite™ stations daily or after processing approximately 1000 blocks.
- Test and optimize Slide Brite™ as a clearing agent in tissue processing schedules prior to standard use.
- Refer to Slide Brite™ Staining Procedure.
- For best deparaffinization results, place warm slides directly from dryer/oven into Slide Brite™.
- Deparaffinize warm slides thoroughly in three changes of Slide Brite™, 3 minutes each. Hydrate through two changes each of 100% and 95% ethyl alcohols, 10 dips each. Wash well with distilled water.
- See Procedure Notes #1, #2 and #3.
- Proceed with staining protocol.
- Dehydrate in two changes of 95% and three changes of 100% ethyl alcohol. Clear in four changes of Slide Brite™.
- Coverslip with S Mounting Medium (Part #6751)
- See Procedure Note #4.
- Test and optimize Slide Brite™ in staining procedures and automated staining systems prior to standard use.
- Deparaffinization and clearing steps may require longer timings then xylene.
- Due to absorption rates Slide Brite™ will require more frequent changes compared to xylene.
- Any water contamination will sit on top of Slide Brite™.
- Minimize water presence by using Hydrosorb-X™ Water Absorbing Packets or decant water off.
- Test Slide Brite™ compatibility with other mounting mediums prior to use.
- If mounting medium is not readily miscible or displays separation it is incompatible with Slide Brite™,
- Slide Brite™ is not recommended for automated coverslippers.
- Slide Brite™ will not remove adhered coverslips as well as xylene.
- Refer to manufacturer’s specifications on the use of Slide Brite™ on all instrumentation.
- Dapson, Janet Crookham, and Richard W. Dapson. Hazardous Materials in the Histopathology Laboratory: Regulations, Risks, Handling and Disposal. 4th Battle Creek, MI: Anatech, 2005. 150-155, 235.
- Wynnchuk, Maria. “Evaluation of Xylene Substitutes for Paraffin Tissue Processing.” The Journal of Histotechnology2 (1994): 143-149.
- Modifications developed by Newcomer Supply Laboratory.
Slide Brite™ Routine Tissue Processing Schedule
|1||Formalin 10%, Phosphate Buffered||Off||Off||90 Minutes|
|2||Formalin 10%, Phosphate Buffered||Off||Off||90 Minutes|
|3||70% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||Off||Off||30 Minutes|
|4||95% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||Off||Off||40 Minutes|
|5||100% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||Off||15 mm Hg||50 Minutes|
|6||100% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||Off||15 mm Hg||40 Minutes|
|7||100% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||Off||15 mm Hg||40 Minutes|
|8||Slide Brite™||Off/On 38°C||15 mm Hg||60 Minutes|
|9||Slide Brite™||Off/On 38°C||15 mm Hg||60 Minutes|
|10||Slide Brite™||Off/On 38°C||15 mm Hg||60 Minutes|
|11||Paraffin||60°C||15 mm Hg||120 Minutes|
|12||Paraffin||60°C||15 mm Hg||60 Minutes|
Slide Brite™ Routine Tissue Processing Notes:
- When using only two clearing stations, increase time from 60 minutes to 90 minutes per station (Steps #8 to #10).
- Rotate, filter and/or replace Slide Brite™ solutions daily or after processing approximately 1000 blocks.
Slide Brite™ Staining Procedure
|1||Slide Dryer/Oven 58°C-60°C|
|2||Slide Brite™||3 Minutes|
|3||Slide Brite™||3 Minutes|
|4||Slide Brite™||3 Minutes|
|5||100% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||30 Seconds/10 Dips|
|6||100% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||30 Seconds/10 Dips|
|7||95% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||30 Seconds/10 Dips|
|8||95% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||30 Seconds/10 Dips|
|9||Distilled Water Rinse||30 Seconds Minimum|
|10||Proceed with Staining Protocol.|
|11||95% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||30 Seconds/10 Dips|
|12||95% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||30 Seconds/10 Dips|
|13||100% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||30 Seconds/10 Dips|
|14||100% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||1 Minute|
|15||100% Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured||1 Minute|
|16||Slide Brite™ Clearing Agent||1 Minute|
|17||Slide Brite™ Clearing Agent||1 Minute|
|18||Slide Brite™ Clearing Agent||2 Minutes|
|19||Slide Brite™ Clearing Agent||2 Minutes|
|20||Coverslip with S Mounting Medium|
Slide Brite™ Staining Procedure Notes:
- For best deparaffinization results, place warm slides directly from dryer/oven into Slide Brite™ (Step #2).
- To achieve best coverslipping results, S Mounting Medium (Part 6751) is the recommended mounting medium with Slide Brite™.