Hematoxylin Stain Set, Weigert Iron
(use: Mucin & Trichrome.)
- Shelf Life 2 years from date of manufacture.
Sol’n A: Ferric Chloride, Acidified
Sol’n B: Hematoxylin 1%, Alcoholic
(Nuclear counterstain for acidic special stains)
|Part 1409B||Part 1409A|
|Solution A:||Ferric Chloride, Acidified||250 ml||500 ml|
|Solution B:||Hematoxylin 1%, Alcoholic||250 ml||500 ml|
|Xylene, ACS||Part 1445|
|Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured, 100%||Part 10841|
|Alcohol, Ethyl Denatured, 95%||Part 10842|
For storage requirements and expiration date refer to individual bottle labels.
Newcomer Supply Hematoxylin Stain Set, Weigert Iron is the preferred nuclear stain in conjunction with trichrome and mucin stains. Iron hematoxylin is the optimal nuclear stain when succeeding stains are lengthy or acidic, where the use of an aluminum-mordanted hematoxylin stain would have a tendency to decolorize.
Fixation: Formalin 10%, Phosphate Buffered (Part 1090)
Technique: Paraffin sections cut at 4 microns
Solutions: All solutions are manufactured by Newcomer Supply, Inc.
All Newcomer Supply Stain Sets are designed to be used with Coplin jars filled to 40 ml following the provided staining procedure.
HEMATOXYLIN, WEIGERT IRON STAINING PROCEDURE:
- If necessary, heat dry tissue sections/slides in oven.
- Deparaffinize sections thoroughly in three changes of xylene, 3 minutes each. Hydrate through two changes each of 100% and 95% ethyl alcohols, 10 dips each. Wash well with distilled water.
- See Procedure Notes #1 and #2.
- Prepare fresh Weigert Iron Hematoxylin; combine and mix well.
- Solution A: Ferric Chloride, Acidified 20 ml
- Solution B: Hematoxylin 1%, Alcoholic 20 ml
- Stain in fresh Weigert Iron Hematoxylin for 10 minutes.
- Wash in running tap water for 10 minutes; rinse in distilled water.
- See Procedure Note #3.
- Proceed with selected stain procedure:
- Mucin stain procedure
- Trichrome stain procedure
- Or counterstain as desired
- Dehydrate in two changes each of 95% and 100% ethyl alcohol. Clear in three changes of xylene, 10 dips each; coverslip with compatible mounting medium.
|Other tissue components||Dependent on stain procedure or counterstain used|
- Drain slides after each step to prevent solution carry over.
- Do not allow sections to dry out at any point during procedure.
- If Weigert Iron Hematoxylin is not completely washed from tissue sections, nuclear and cytoplasmic staining may be compromised.
- If using a xylene substitute, closely follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for deparaffinization and clearing steps.
- Luna, Lee G. Manual of Histologic Staining Methods of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. 3rd ed. New York: Blakiston Division, McGraw-Hill, 1968. 228-229.
- Preece, Ann. A Manual for Histologic Technicians. 3rd ed. Boston: Little, Brown, 1972. 229.
- Sheehan, Dezna C., and Barbara B. Hrapchak. Theory and Practice of Histotechnology. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 1980.146.
- Modifications developed by Newcomer Supply Laboratory.