ALCIAN BLUE/PAS STAIN KIT
ALCIAN BLUE/PAS STAIN KIT
ALCIAN BLUE/PAS STAIN KIT INCLUDES:
|250 ml Kit||500 ml Kit|
|Solution A:||Acetic Acid, 3% Aqueous||250 ml||500 ml|
|Solution B:||Alcian Blue Stain Solution, 1%, 2.5pH||250 ml||500 ml|
|Solution C:||Periodic Acid 0.5% Aqueous Solution||250 ml||500 ml|
|Solution D:||Schiff Reagent, McManus||250 ml||500 ml|
|2 Complimentary Unstained Positive Control Slides Included in Kit|
Alcian Blue Stain Kit bottles are not available to be purchased individually. "Component" bottles may be available under separate part numbers.
For storage temperature refer to individual product labels.
ALCIAN BLUE/PAS STAIN KIT APPLICATIONS:
This stain differentiates between neutral and acidic mucosubstances. Acidic mucosubstances are stained with the Alcian Blue technique and neutral mucosubstances are stained by the PAS reaction.
All Newcomer Supply Stain Kits are designed to be used with Coplin jars filled to 40 ml following the staining procedure provided below. Some solutions in the kit may contain extra volumes.
ALCIAN BLUE/PAS STAIN KIT METHOD:
Fixation: 10% Neutral Buffered Formalin
Technique: Paraffin sections cut at 5 microns
Solutions: All solutions manufactured by Newcomer Supply
ALCIAN BLUE/PAS STAIN KIT PROCEDURE:
- Deparaffinize sections thoroughly in three changes of xylene, then hydrate through graded ethyl alcohols to distilled water.
- Place slides in Solution A, Acetic Acid, 3% Aqueous Solution for 3 minutes.
- Place slides in Solution B, Alcian Blue Stain Solution, 1%, pH 2.5 for 30 minutes.
- Wash slides in gently running tap water for 10 minutes, followed by a distilled water rinse.
- Place slides in Solution C, Periodic Acid, 0.5% Aqueous Solution for 10 minutes.
- Wash slides in running tap water for 5 minutes, followed by a distilled water rinse.
- Place slides in room temperature Solution D, Schiff Reagent, McManus for 20 minutes.
- Wash in lukewarm tap water for 5-10 minutes.
- Dehydrate through graded ethyl alcohols, clear in xylene or substitute and coverslip with a compatible mounting medium.
ALCIAN BLUE/PAS STAIN KIT RESULTS:
|Exclusively acid mucosubstances||Blue|
|Certain substances will be colored by both PAS and Alcian Blue||Purple|
ALCIAN BLUE/PAS STAIN KIT PROCEDURE NOTES:
- This Schiff Reagent is stored at room temperature. There is no benefit to storing our product in the refrigerator.
- Use care in handling. Schiff Reagent readily stains skin and is only removed through time and wear.
- Formalin contamination will ruin Schiff Reagent, even prolonged exposure to formalin fumes will deactivate the solution.
- Washing too long after Schiff Reagent can bleach the color out.
COMPLIMENTARY UNSTAINED POSITIVE CONTROL SLIDES:
Each kit comes with two complimentary unstained positive control slides to be used for the initial verification of staining techniques and reagents. We suggest running one slide along with your in-house positive control slide for the first run. Retain the second slide for further troubleshooting, if needed.
- "Histotechnology: A Self-Instructional Text", Carson, Freida, 2nd edition, 1990, ASCP Press, pp. 121-123.
- Modifications developed by Newcomer Supply Laboratory.