S Mounting Medium
Simple concept: Compatible with Xylene & aliphatic hydrocarbon xylene substitutes (e.g. SlideBrite). Dries clear and fast. 16oz. bottle size. Incompatible with film coverslips. Manuf. By Azer Scientific.
Newcomer Supply S-Mounting Medium is a ready-to-use permanent coverslipping medium designed for use with Slide Brite™ Xylene Substitute, other aliphatic hydrocarbon xylene substitutes, and is also compatible with xylene. Features of S-Mounting Medium include:
- Quickly dries to a clear solid plastic.
- Does not bleach or bleed stains.
- Does not yellow or become brittle and crack over time.
- Quality of the stained coverslipped sections remain unchanged indefinitely.
- Provides excellent optical quality.
Technique: Paraffin or frozen sections
- Test S-Mounting Medium compatibility with clearing agent prior to use.
- See Procedure Note #1.
- Complete staining procedure; dehydrate, clear with Slide Brite™, xylene or other compatible clearing agent and blot excess clearing agent from slide edges.
- Apply one to two drops or sufficient amount of S-Mounting Medium to flow over and fully cover the tissue section(s).
- Install coverglass, one edge first, allowing any air bubbles to escape as the opposite edge is lowered on to the slide.
- Blot excess S-Mounting Medium from sides and bottom of slide.
- Dry slide in a horizontal position.
- Setting time at room temperature is approximately 3-5 minutes and is dependent on temperature and the amount of solvent on the slide.
- Dry slides a minimum of 24 hours before filing or placing in mailers for shipping.
- To remove or replace a coverslip; completely immerse slide(s) in Coplin jar filled with an adequate volume of compatible clearing agent. (Note: Slide Brite™ will not remove adhered coverslips as well as xylene).
- After coverslip detaches, agitate slide in the same clearing solution for 1-2 minutes to remove any excess mounting medium.
- Clear slide in a fresh solution of Slide Brite™, xylene or other compatible clearing agent.
- Remount with S-Mounting Medium and new coverslip.
- On a plain glass slide mix several drops of S-Mounting Medium with equal amount of clearing agent. If mounting medium displays any separation or is not readily miscible when exposed to the clearing agent it is not compatible.
- Keep S-Mounting Medium tightly capped when not in use to avoid evaporation and maintain solution viscosity.
- S-Mounting Medium is toluene based and considered a flammable solvent. Refer to SDS for storage and handling information.
- Carson, Freida L., and Christa Hladik. Histotechnology: A Self-Instructional Text. 3rd ed. Chicago, Ill.: American Society of Clinical Pathologists, 2009. 128-131.
- Ravikumar, Shamala, R. Surekha, and Rooban Thavarajah. “Mounting Media: An Overview.” Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences 3.5 (2014): 1-8.
- Modifications developed by Newcomer Supply Laboratory.